- The Village of Springport was originally named Oyers Corners
after the first settler John Oyer in 1835.
- Springport Township was once legally known as town one south,
of range three west, state of Michigan.
- In 1882 Springport was incorporated into a village with a
population of 600 people with C.J. Comstock as President, John
Oyer, Myron Gillett, H.L. Gardner. A.W. Soule, Jared Parker,
and R.B. Hoag as trustees. F.E. Powers was Clerk, Edward Saxton
was treasurer, and W.S. Porter was elected Marshal.
- The first Post Office was at Oyer's Corners early in January
1838.Augustus F. Gaylord was the first postmaster until 1853.
- Springport's lumber yard was built in 1873 by Charles Weley.
- Established in 1893 and first known as Springport Bookbindery,
Hoag and Sons Book Bindery has been a part of the Village of
Springport for over 110 years.
- Not many people of Springport are aware but, Springport roads
were once a trail for “rum runners” between Port
Huron and Chicago during the days of Prohibition. The trail
came into Springport, keeping to all of the rural areas. One
stop was at a farm on S Drive.
- Mr. John Comstock was the first man to bring domestic animals
- The first wedding in Springport was held in 1836 between Mr.
- The first death was in 1836 of Mr.Adams
- The first accidental death was that of Lucious Dixon on March
12, 1850, he was killed by a falling tree.
- The first religious meeting was held by Rev. Marcus Harrison.
- The first windmill used for pumping water was used by E.A.
Landon in the winter of 1868-69.
- The first sewing machine was used by Mrs. E. Ferris in 1858.
- The first Saw Mill was built but Nathaniel Hicks in the spring
- The first lawsuit was the Landon District versus John Ford,
- The first male child born in Springport was born August 8,
1837, and the the first female child was born January 4th, 1938.
- The Pottawatamie Native Americans were located in this vicinity
when the first settlers came.
- In 1876 W.O. Oyer and F.A. Paine founded the Springport Signal
which is still in business today.
Springport in 1954